Wellness & Health Promotion Services Graduate Assistantship
Wellness and Health Promotion Services (WHPS) provides current and accurate health information about important lifestyle decisions. Graduate Assistants in WHPS are responsible for providing health education and health promotion to SIU students. Primary emphasis will be on health promotion/harm reduction, and behavior change interventions in the areas of sexual health, stress management, alcohol tobacco & other drugs, violence prevention, nutrition, sleep, suicide prevention and other areas of wellness that impact student success. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
WHPS Graduate Assistants will:
- Deliver health education to students in both small and large groups;
- Be required to expand their skill set in presenting on a variety of health-related topics;
- Research and identify effective methods of disseminating information to student populations;
- Be trained to take the lead in a particular topic area (e.g., birth control, stress management, etc.);
- Assist with program development, implementation, and evaluation.Job Description
Some evening and weekend hours are required.
A 50% time GA position will work 20 hours per week; 25% will work 10 hours per week. Contracts are for the academic year, August to May.
BS/BA degree; admission to graduate school in one of the following programs: Health Education & Recreation, Food & Nutrition, Counseling, Counselor Education Psychology, or closely related fields; professionalism; good written and verbal communication skills; good computer skills.
Program development/evaluation, health education/promotion, and public speaking experience preferred for all positions.
Student Health Services
WHPS MC 6740
374 E. Grand Ave.
Carbondale, IL 62901
Please feel free to call (618) 536-4441 if you have additional questions.