Student Health Insurance
Health Insurance Requirement
SIUC requires all students that are taking on-campus courses to have health insurance. To meet this mandate, all students taking on-campus courses will be billed the student health insurance fee. Students who already have comparable health insurance coverage may waive the fee by completing the waiver process prior to the posted deadlines. All students taking on-campus courses, who do not complete the waiver process by the posted deadline, will be automatically enrolled in the SIU Student Health Insurance Plan and will not be eligible for a refund. If it is your intent to enroll in the student health insurance plan, it is strongly recommended that you enroll yourself as soon as possible. Doing so assures you have access to off-campus benefits on the effective date of the policy.
The Student Health Insurance Plan provides health insurance coverage that complements the Student Health Center, covering expenses such as pharmaceuticals, immunizations, and off-campus services such as emergency rooms, hospitalizations, surgery, ambulance, and specialty care.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Who is eligible for the plan?
- 2. How do I waive the fee and get a refund?
- 3. How do International Students waive the Insurance Fee?
- 4. How do I enroll myself?
- 5. How do I print out my Insurance ID Card?
- 6. How do I enroll dependents?
- 7. If I waive out of the insurance can I re-enroll?
- 8. Do I need Health Insurance to access the Student Health Center?
- 9. Is the Student Health Insurance Plan primary or secondary coverage?
- 10. Do I have to apply for an insurance waiver every semester?