Your Reporting Options

Main Content

Survivor Support Services

Filing a Report:

If you are a victim of sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking you have the right to report the crime. Southern Illinois University Carbondale has several reporting options available to you.

Option One: Report to Police

  • If the situation took place off-campus, call your local police department
  • If the situation took place on campus, call the Department of Public Safety at 618-453-3771.
  • If it is an emergency, call 911.

Option two:  Report to SIU

Whether or not the situation took place on or off-campus, call the Office of Equity and Compliance at 618-453-4807 to report to the University or

  • File a crime report at SAFE.SIU.EDU
  • Tell a faculty or staff member. They MUST report this to SAFE.SIU.EDU. This report is NOT a police report. They may NOT keep this information confidential.

If you would like to speak to someone who can maintain confidentiality, students can do so by contacting Confidential Advising Services at 618-453-4429.

When it is reported, someone from the Office of Equity and Compliance will contact you about a possible investigation. An investigation will not always be required.

The University may also be able to provide assistance and remedies to a survivor of these crimes, whether or not an investigation is requested.

Option Three: Report to Police, but not to SIU

If you make a police report, the police will share this information with SIU through the Office of Equity and Compliance. If you do not wish for SIU to investigate, you may discuss this option with the Office of Equity and Compliance staff when they contact you after they have received the police report.

Option Four: Report to SIU, but not to the police

You do NOT have to make a police report to make a report to SIU. SIU will investigate, or provide remedies, even if a police report is not made.

Option Five: Report to no one

Even if you decide not to report to anyone, you still have access to services to help you. You can, for example, still seek confidential medical carecounseling, and support services from a Confidential Advisor by appointment.

Remember: ANYONE who works for the University is a mandated reporter, unless they work for the Counseling and Psychological Services, Student Health Services, or is a Confidential Advisor for the university. If you report to anyone else on campus, they MUST report your concerns to the Office of Equity and Compliance through the SAFE.SIU.EDU page.