Your Rights

Main Content

Survivor Support Services

Your rights in a university investigation:

  • You have many rights when you make a report to the university. These include the right to file a grievance against the accused, the right to an advisor of your choice in the process, the right to see the investigative report after the investigation is concluded, the right to respond to the investigative report, and the right to have an advisor cross-examine the accused and/or witnesses at the hearing.

In addition, you also have the right to...

  • Receive support from the University in obtaining counseling and other support, including access to SIU's Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) who provides free confidential counseling for students.
  • Be aided by the University, with interim measures as appropriate, in obtaining a learning and working environment that is safe and secure.
  • Be informed by University officials of options to contact proper law enforcement authorities, including University and local police, and the option to be assisted in contacting the police by University Officials to file a case or to respond to claims.
  • Be informed by University officials of options to pursue a complaint through the University's investigatory and disciplinary process or to respond to complaints.
  • Be informed of the nature, rules, and procedures of the University's investigatory and disciplinary processes and to be provided copies of applicable university policies and procedures.
  • Be treated with respect by University officials throughout the process.
  • Be free of retaliation.
  • Request removal of any investigator or hearings examiner to be removed on the basis of bias and/or conflict of interest.
  • Have the opportunity to participate in the process to the extent you choose.
  • Be informed of the findings of an investigation.
  • Appeal the findings.

Interim Measures

  • Once you report an incident of sex-based misconduct, you have the right to receive interim measures. The interim measures can include academic modifications (request a class change, request a make-up assignment, request an excused absence), housing modifications (request University housing change), requesting a no-contact order preventing the Respondent from contacting you.